Sunday, November 20, 2011

Got To Get You Into My Life

So I disappear more than I would ever like to admit, but you must know that I am having a great time.  I frequent The Cavern Club every Sunday to see the cover band The Shakers (they played at Beatle Week).  I would like to say that I spend most of my time reading things for class but I honestly spend more of my time putzing around town than anyone probably should.  But I am loving it.  I am meeting awesome people, making great friends, and learning a bit about myself while I am at it.

To start - I got a ticket to see Paul McCartney at his show in Liverpool on December 20!  Merry Christmas to me!  I think it is absolutely amazing that I get to see a Beatle (and really the only surviving Beatle that I like) play in Liverpool.  I hope he sings "Wonderful Christmastime."  There aren't many people that get to say they heard that live.  I will be one of those people.  Yes, I wish you were there too.

On November 8 I went on a drive south and west of Liverpool.  I ended up in Wales. Of course I didn't drive, but we drove through different areas of Beatle history, Chester where I saw Roman ruins (freaking cool), and Wales where there was an American diner that had fantastic cheese fries.  We came back through the tunnel but on the way we drove along the Mersey River and I thought of all my Beatle friends that I met over the last two years and realized it's about time that I update you guys.

The sense of community in Liverpool is amazing.  I don't know if it is just this area or if it is anywhere out of Scranton, but I love it just the same.  I mentioned in my other blog, On The Other Hand,that I went to the Christmas Tree Lighting concert with the gang two weeks ago.  I am still warm and fuzzy on the inside from how awesome it was. There was no chaos, no violence or arguing.  I'm not even sure if there were real cops around.  Sometimes I think I really am in a twilight zone, but not a black and white twilight zone... well maybe black and white with a splash of pink. Maybe most importantly, Liverpool has restored my love of Christmas! Those of you who know me in real life know how (impossible, amazing, etc) this was/is! So everyone should be happy that Liverpool has sent The Grinch back to Whoville and restored Autumn to her festive self.  For the love, we all sang along to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town!"

This last Monday I had a great surprise when I went to class!  Joe Flannery (a life long friend of Brian Epstein) was sitting in the front of the classroom ready to tell us stories of Beatle past.  I seriously couldn't get over it the whole time.  I have the lecture recorded and I have to listen to it again because he told stories of John and Paul which were delightful.  He told other stories about The Beatles of course (I might know the truth behind the removal of Pete Best!) and he told of other bands too.  It was just amazing to be in the same room as him!  I just couldn't believe that I got to hear this man talk for two hours!  Do you know how lucky I am?  I bet not. He brought in the most recent birthday gift that Paul McCartney sent to him.  The original hand-written lyrics to "Penny Lane."  I was extremely jealous that this wasn't in my room!

No comments:

Post a Comment