Monday, March 11, 2013

And She'll Never Walk Down Lime Street Anymore

I can't believe that my time in Liverpool is over (I also can't believe how much I didn't write for this blog).  I just can't believe how fast it really went.  Even when time was dragging (and at times it did)  I never imagined this chapter in my life ending.

I remember how unbelievably scared I was before I left Scranton. I was deseperate for someone who was angry to tell me not to go.  That is was a bad idea.  Like my mom.  But, we know Lolly.  She said, "Go and if you need to come home I will get a boat and come and get you myself if I have to."  In fact, I can name the people who didn't want me to go, who told me not to go.  Hindsight, I can see that it was because they were scared that something would happen while I was over here (and some things did happen, aye?) but if anyone really understood how close I was to not going they would know that all they had to do was sit in a room with me for like 30 minutes and drill it into me not to go and I probably wouldn't have.  Of course, I'd never listen to them that long. 

I still can't get over how fresh these Liverpool memories are. From the time I visited in 2010 (which is probably my favorite time) to moments of my last arrival after Christmas.  I can remember my mother getting on the coach to head back to Heathrow outside of the Adelphi.  She put her sunglasses on in order to hide her tears (I did the same) and hugged me quick and got on the bus as if I didn't know she was crying.  There I was left with Dave Jones from Cavern City Tours just watching my number one defender and best friend drive away and leave me in a city where I knew no one besides the Beatles.  I still question both of our sanity in that moment.  Dave was nice enough to put me in a cab and tell the driver where I was going (because I had no clue at the time) and that was that.  It took everything thing I had to not call a cab and chase that  bus all the way back to London.  I took a nap instead.  Then I did my laundry and on my way to the laundry room, I met my first friend, Devon.  He was from Denmark.  We shared a flat for a few weeks and then I went to the Creative Campus (art and music students) and he stayed where he was for his sports science stuff.  Devon and I went to the post office so I could send notes home to my mom and we went for lunch, trying to get used to the place.  If it wasn't for Devon I'd be lost for that first month. 

And how cool was I? I mean this girl from Scranton, who was told she really wouldn't do anything because of the cards Fate dealt her, picked up and moved to England on her own?!  I don't know many people who would do that.  To be honest, I can't believe I did it.  I feel like the Autumn I am now wouldn't do that.  Then again, I do love adventures.  

And the people I've met and the places I've gone.  I mean, inside Abbey Road Studios as if I was just working there. Speaking of working, the day that I spent as a "worker" in Mendips!  Interviewing the man responsible for creating the Beatles Story! And Joe Flannery!  Never mind befriending Julia Baird and getting to spend time with her.  Then the those who aren't related to the Beatles.  My friends and my love, Dann, how would life be if I didn't get on that plane (or didn't take that nap)? 

And all of the concerts!  Jeeze!  Backstreet Boys, Adele, Amos Lee, The Shakers (weekly) and freaking Paul McFreakingCartney! Granted, with exception to the Shakers, I could have seen all of these people and have seen all of these performers but McCartney in Liverpool was the best show I've seen him do.  I could have missed all of this because of fear?  Silly. 

And then there is the second master's degree. I had to work for that one in a different way than I had to work for the first one.  At least in the first one I had a clue about what I was getting into but this one I was up the creek without a paddle. I mastered my baffling skills with this degree. Princess BaMaMa :) The things I learned during that time are pretty much things that I couldn't have learned anywhere else.  They may be irrelevant to some but not to me. 

There are things I am going to miss.  I'm going to miss the simplicity of it (although being here is quite difficult). I think that the sunshine (when it's out) comes out just feels warmer and fresher.  I love the deals that you get over here.  On Wednesdays, you get to go to the movies buy one get one free admission.  Restaurants offer super cheap deals too.  One restaurant (that I just discovered, unfortunately) does 50% off on Mondays!  Dann and I ate for under 10 pounds together.  WHAT?!

I really get taken back when I think about how different my life would be if I didn't stay in Liverpool.  Just meeting the guy who lived next door to me changed my life entirely. By taking that risk of moving to Liverpool, I've discovered so much about myself, that I couldn't possibly do if I had the comforts of home. And I've gained so much! I had no idea that I'd end up dating him, falling in love with him, tricking him into marrying me, and then *surprisingly* finding out we are going to be parents. I used to smile when Dann and I would talk about how we would have never met if it wasn't for the Beatles (pretty fair statement). Recently, I saw a photocopy of the program from St. Pete's Fete, where John and Paul met for the first time, and I couldn't help but think that Pip wouldn't even be on his way if that church picnic didn't happen.  

Can you believe how crazy life is? 


So, to you, Liverpool,  thanks for the ride. =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment