Saturday, July 14, 2012

Nowhere You Can Be That Isn't Where You're Meant To Be...

I know that I was awful at keeping everyone updated with this blog. I should have done it once a week like I did with my other blog.  But I guess in many ways that blog is easier, albeit more creative. The last one I posted was about a dream about Lennon that I had... in December!  Wow.  Talk about a bad promise maker.    So I suppose I'll begin at the beginning and work my way towards now.  I'll try not to bore you with the silly small stuff, you can ask if you really want to know the deets.

So I came home for Christmas, much to Jacob's surprise.  And much to my surprise I had my very own Romeo by then. So I guess that is the first thing I should talk about even though it's not very Beatle related but very Liverpool related. Romeo is also known as Dann. You know, the guy who told me to shut my window in the last post? He's the reason why I will be returning to stay in Liverpool from August to March.  So I suppose that is the most important thing I should share with you.  Autumn Rose found love.  Just like everyone told her she would.

Anyway, I was in America until January 9th-ish. Then made the journey back to Liverpool to what would be a whirlwind of time flying by. By the end of March I found myself boarding a bus outside of the Adelphi hotel (where it all started) to get to London and actually get inside of Abbey Road Studios!  How flipping cool is that?!?  It isn't something that is often open to the public and definitely isn't something that is as cheap as we got it for. It was kind of surreal to be there.  I am not a sentimental person so I imagine that there could be a few other people who would do a stellar job of writing this but it was cool to be in Studio Two. In the corners and the doorways that I recognized from so many photos of the Beatles. Two Americans (and I swear one was younger than me [what am I doing wrong]) presented us with their research and discussed the history and development of Abbey Road as a studio. My patience was growing thin until they reached the 1960s and I grabbed my attention.  Believe it or not, I learned things that I've never known about the Beatles. At this point, that's becoming a rare thing. Not to toot my own horn or anything (beeeeeeeeeeeeep).
It was a great day!  Oh and there is a cafeteria in there! We had a snack inside and then, somehow, a knife and fork from Abbey Road fell into my purse and made it's way back to Liverpool with me!  Remarkable.

Then one day in early March I had a message in inbox on Facebook from Ms. Julia Baird.  She has been such a wonderful help to me in the last few months.  I cannot express my gratitude towards her enough for helping me wrap my head around the local phenomenon of the Beatles. The point of view that she has given me has definitely opened my eyes up to a more realistic and personal idea of the Beatles rather than this super group that no one could touch. I admit that there is a lot that I will not tell anyone, never mind put it on the internet, but my time spent with Julia was most definitely eyeopening and wonderful. Sometimes the Universe just works itself out for you.  I'm reminded of that each time Dann grabs a hold of my hand and I was reminded of that each time I met with Julia.

And then there was spending an extensive amount of time in John's childhood home.  Thanks to my dissertation topic, I have be allowed to do things (for free) that most people get to do for a charge and have less time with.  I have  been in John's house before but I was there as a fan not as a fly on the wall and what a difference that change is. But it was also amazingly wonderful to be in the house alone and take time to read things that I didn't have time to do before.  I was able to speak with the groundskeeper, Colin, for quite a while and get his point of view on Beatles Tourism in Liverpool. The opportunities that have been given to me in this lifetime are opportunities that I will forever be thankful for.

And to close...
Before I left for the summer, I saw New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys in concert. BAM!

It's a good life.


1 comment: