Saturday, September 3, 2011

When You Don't Know Where You're Going Any Road Will Take You There...

Day Four in Liverpool has been a particularly restless day.  Not a "bad" day but an insatiable day!  I was rather bored for most of the day.  And then I became quite irritated because I don't have my Beatles Anthology with me and I just wanted to watch it.  Then suddenly some light bulb went off in my head and shouted "YOU BIG DUMMY! Why do you feel the need to WATCH it when you can go LIVE it?" So I put on my shoes and that's what I did! Like I said, I made two friends.  One is named Devon and the other one is a teacher from Iran.  Iran was looking for a new place to live today and Devon was watching football (soccer) so it was just me and Liverpool today.   I first went to Liverpool One because I decided it should have been a number one priority to find a bookstore eleven days ago and it wasn't. So that was the first thing I did.

I am lying.  It was the second.
The first thing I did was get a birthday card for my Nana. Particularly interesting because there are more "nana" cards here than there ever was back home.  It was delightful.  Then, I found the bookstore which was equally delightful.  It reminds me of borders and they have a reward card.  I thought it was appropriate to get one.  Now I feel like I really belong. I didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked to because it looked like the sky was going to open up and wash away all of that sunshine we've been smiling in for the last two days and I still had to get over to Mathew Street! I wanted to make it a point to get over there by foot, if you will, because I refuse to pour money into cabs the whole time I'm here.  I told Debbie I wanted to get a car, she almost took a stroke.  Baby steps.

So, I left the bookstore and went to the phone store because I have never hated a phone more than I hate my current UK phone.  It's like 5,000 steps back from my pretty useless iPhone. But the kind lady in the store told me it may be in my best interest to go and get my iPhone unlocked and then get a SIM card for that one.  I am particularly pushing for a phone with apps so that I can use a map/GPS app to get around. I can't seem to find the hair salon I saw 435 times while my mom was here. Since I can't read a map, I figure a GPS app would be great since it can shout at me to turn left.  My grey hairs are coming in quickly, how can I meet a British boy like that? So, a GPS app and a salon are required soon. In the meantime, I'll use my natural charm and grace and pretend that I am not a damsel in distress but rather a damsel that wants to confirm the way to go.  It worked pretty well today.

I had just left a Liverpool FC stand where I purchased a super cool pink Liverpool hat with my favorite bird on it when I realized that I had no idea where I was from Mathew Street!  That wasn't the case a few short stores ago but I took one dry shortcut  and that was that! So I pretended that I was texting (which is always the best thing to do) while I was scoping out the scene to ask someone which was Mathew Street was.  I knew I was close and part of me was kicking myself for not paying more attention when Charles was walking me through it last year on the way for my tattoo (which, btw, my tattoo is one year and two days old) but how was I supposed to know that I was going to be living here?  Anyway, I was scoping out the scene and I was first going to approach an elderly couple but they looked like they wanted to stab each other with their umbrellas (very unusual for Liverpudlians) so I decided in interest of my eyeballs I'd stay away from them.  Then as if he was waiting for me, there was a man with his little boy. I knew they were from here because they weren't frazzled as they were leaning against the McDonald's window so I went over and said "Mathew Street is this way right?"  and he said yes but said that I can also go another way. I asked him which was was less hilly and he said "that way, love".  It only took one stop after him and the guy just said "behind you" so he doesn't even count.  I turned around and walked a mini-distance turned right and there it was! How incredibly easy it was to get to for the last two years! 

It was much more quiet than it was on Tuesday when I left but the Cavern Club was definitely bumpin'! I saw some familiar faces and they recognized me so that was super freaking cool.  I did of course take a cab back up to my dorm.  We passed the Adelphi which is the hotel that we stayed at.  It made me miss some people from this year's group and of course last year's.

Anyway,  I decided to blog tonight because I was having some writer's block (or writer's embarrassment) while working on a story.  Time to get back to that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment